So God created man in his own image,in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. Genesis 1:27
We have had over 100 lbs. of rice donated to the Manna Meal Free meal Program. I tested a new recipe to help use some of the rice. Since we cook for about 200 meals each week, it is really a pain to have to cook rice in the traditional way on top of the stove. I took a recipe that we have for using uncooked macaroni and letting the casserole sit overnight and replaced the macaroni with rice. Since rice takes more cooking liquid I increased the liquid. It came out great. The variations on this are endless.
2 cups uncooked rice
4 cups water or stock
2 cups of: chicken, ham, broccoli or mixed vegetables
2 10 oz. cans of cream soup: mushroom, celery, chicken or even tomato soup (if using large cans use 1/2 of a 50 oz. can of soup)
2-3 cups of shredded cheese or 1/2 lb. processed cheese such as Velveeta-cubed
4 hard boiled eggs – optional and I did not use them
salt and pepper to taste
Could add other seasonings as desired: garlic, onion, chili powder (tomato soup)
Mix all ingredients together and place in a 9 x 13 pan or half sheet pan. Cover and place in the refrigerator overnight. Take out and uncover the next day. Bake at 325′ for 1 hour. You may want to stir this after about 30 minutes. You can top this with additional cheese or bread crumbs the last 10-15 minutes if desired. This serves 12-15.
This multiplies well. If you add meat this could be a main dish, with vegetables a great side.
1. Rice with diced tomatoes and broth to make the amount of liquid needed: onions, chili powder and peppers for Spanish style rice.
2. Rice with chicken broth for the liquid, cream of chicken soup, cooked chicken. Could add broccoli, peas/carrots, or mixed vegetables for main dish.
3. Rice with ham and ham broth for the liquid, cream of mushroom soup. Could add broccoli, green beans, mushrooms, etc.
4. Rice with water for the liquid, cream of mushroom soup. Add broccoli and/or mushrooms for a great side dish.
5. Rice with water for liquid. Bacon and/or sausage, chopped hard boiled eggs. Add onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. for a breakfast style casserole.